Thursday, December 8, 2011

If you have a child who will be 18 near 2020, how much would you save for higher education?

Assuming you wanted to pay the majority? For the exercise's sake, think of yourself as middle to upper middle class, even if you're not in real life.|||I would say by then and depending on what they are going for a parent intending to pay for higher education should have at least 79000 saved.


I do want to say though, although we are putting money aside for our kids education in no way are we raising them to think that they do not have to take responsibility for their own futures, i mean i expect my kids to have part time jobs at least by the time they enter college so that they can pay for some of their expenses as well. The money i have aside is meant to aide them not to give them a free ride through college or life for that matter. I agree with what another poster stated that their is finacial aide available to students that doesn't have to be paid back till after they graduate so for families that simply cannot afford to put money away or feel the children should bare the financial responsibility of their higher education there are always options and there really isn;t an excuse not to go to college. I just personally want to give my children a head start on life and not have them start off their first years as an adult in debt.|||enough for them to go to an ivy league college


that's what my parents did, but they also paid for my high school ($56,000/yr) and I joined the military do they didn't need to pay for college|||Actually, I have a 21 year old now and a 27 year old. We are middle class and have not saved anything for their higher education. Many schools offer financial aid that the student can pay off after they complete their educations.





We have been putting money away for retirement. You can't take out loans to pay for retirement and our kids will have 30+ years to pay off their student loans before they retire.|||I think $25 a week is a good start

No comments:

Post a Comment