Monday, December 12, 2011

Any suggestions on how to finance my college education?

I'm aware of Pell grants. I think they cap it off at around $4,700 a year. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to cover the rest of my college tution, books, lab fees, room, board, transportation, etc.? My parents never saved a dime for my education. I plan to pursue a major in Criminology or Sociology.





I'd like to kep all of my options open for the future, so I'm kind of trying to steer clear of government loans...not government grants, but government loans. Specifically because if I were ever to apply for a government position in the future, I could not have any outstanding government loans.





If you guys could kick me down a couple good ideas, nothing that would jeopardize my integrity or leave me in anything less than great moral standing please. I appreciate it!|||Welcome to the club. Sticker shock isn't limited to cars. It applies to the money you will need for college student loans. Over the years the cost of a college education has increased dramatically.





The first thing to remember about a student loan, that it really is not an expense, it is an investment, in yourself. A college education can lead to a more rewarding job and greater earning capability throughout your career. Studies estimate that you will 80% more over your life with a college degree versus a high school diploma.


I looked around and found this site as good resource for ideas on raising money for school. It looks like they offer some legitimate advice.


http://www.collegecashplace.com|||A job would be good. That's what I did.





Ok, added info. I waited tables at a restaurant. I was good, so the tips were good.|||The best way to start financing your education would be to fill out a FAFSA form. They completely analyze your financial situation and determine how much "need" you require. The government will estimate the amount of loans or grants you may receive. Also, depending on its financial aid program, the college you attend should take this information and offer you "fill-in" scholoarships to make up for the rest of your need. Don't be afraid of government loans. They are the best kind of loans you can get because of the low interest rate and long-term repayment. It's also a great way to build up your credit for your future.





If you feel up to applying for scholarships, www.fastweb.com is a wonderful source.





Best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment